Wednesday 21 September 2011

The Long White Cloud.


My first time in New Zealand. I found the people really friendly and warm and I loved it that the Maoris and immigrants had completely integrated. It's not like that in Australia unfortunately. Since I've been here I could count on 1 hand how many Aboriginal people I have seen. 
New Zealand had a lovely pacific island feel to it and from what I could see in my short time there, they seemed very proud of their heritage. 
When we booked the tickets I had no idea that the Rugby World Cup was starting up and the opening ceremony was scheduled to be in Auckland 2 days after I arrived. Well, the fireworks, party atmosphere and traditional dances/performances were a lovely surprise.
We were staying right on Auckland harbour, so we had a fantastic view of the fireworks. 
The streets were mayhem! 
I heard figures of up to 100,000 people had descended on the harbour for the opening night. 


The first match was between the All Blacks and Tonga. 



We went to Auckland Museum, which had a really impressive collection of Maori artifacts. Including an enormous, beautifully carved canoe carved out of one massive tree. 
This is one of the entrances of the museum, by the gift shop.



View from our hotel on the North shore.


 We went to Waiheke island for a few days. It was so gorgeous! Really lovely little place. 
This is little Oneroa beach..




This is the view from Mudbrick Vineyard where we had a super nice lunch! Very recommended. Doesn't it look like there are too many letters in recommended?


Reiko and I at dinner on Viaduct harbour. People were quite confused by us as we didn't look related and there was a fairly big age gap. Reiko didn't speak that much English during the trip and I translated a lot. In hindsight, I should have encouraged her to speak more. Oh well, you live, you learn! We still had a fantastic trip and loads of little sparks of luck followed us around. Looking forward to going back and seeing more of a lovely place.


1 comment: